I share some of the ways that I use collage in junk journals. I show you: What is collage, how to apply scraps for collage, and where to use collage in junk journals.
Firstly, what is collage?
a piece of art made by sticking various different materials such as photographs and pieces of paper or fabric on to a backing.
the art of making collages.
a collection or combination of various things.
“a collage of musical genres”
How to collage
8 steps to apply paper scraps:
- Tear your junk paper or old book pages into smallish sized pieces. Rough edges are better than straight
- Protect your work surface
- Paint the base (book cover or canvas or whatever) with a good coat of diluted white glue or ModPodge ™
- Brush the back of a torn piece of paper with a coat of glue and place on the base
- Smooth out the piece with a credit card, or a brayer
- Wipe your smoothing tool often with a wet cloth
- Continue gluing until the area is covered
- Coat with clear gesso or thinned acrylic to seal
3 ways to use collage in junk journals
1. To cover support material
As well as the cover being more relevant to the inner pages, I used up lots of scraps from the original contents.
2. To mend the support material
I collaged the cover of my travel journal with several layers of pages removed from inside the original book before I altered it.
3. To decorate covers, pages, tags
More decorative collage
Do you use collage?
Have you tried this technique in your own junk journals? I love to use collage in junk journals. Pages and covers are beautiful when decorated with collage.
Please tell us in a comment below.